Sarah H. Reynolds received her BA from New York University and recently moved from NYC to Chicago to pursue her MFA in Painting & Drawing at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Her work as been has been exhibited in NYC and Brooklyn, at venues such as Cheryl Hazan Gallery, Philip Bloom Gallery, Cheim & Read, StoreFront at Ten Eyck, Judith Charles, Theodore:Art, Front Room, and the National YoungArts Foundation. Press includes Huffington Post, Art Nerd, The Guardian, Art Fuse, Bushwick Daily, and Refinery29.
Sarah H. Reynolds' work is founded on materialism rather than conceptual ideas, elevating the mediums that are blended, moved, and sculpted. She is devoted to defying constraints on what basic materials like paper and charcoal can become, allowing them to work together to create shapes and forms that are unlike anything seen in daily life. She relies on her intuition, consistent black and white color palette, and basic supplies to guide her through her process. She allows the interaction between herself and her materials to dictate the each step in creating, resulting in abstract drawings and 3-dimensional works. She intends to push these simple materials into unexplored realms, and evolve the definition of drawing and sculpting.
• Master of Fine Arts, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, Present - 2018
• Bachelor of Arts, Individualized Study, New York University, New York, NY, 2009
• Semester Abroad, Villa La Pietra, Florence, Italy, 2008
• Winter Program with Michelle Grabner and John Neff, Ox-Bow, Saugatuck, MI, January 2017 (forthcoming)
• Somatic Markings: Video Art by Current School of the Art Institute of Chicago MFA students, Latitude, Chicago, IL
• Technical Image, Elastic Arts Foundation, Chicago, IL
• Cheryl Hazan Gallery, New York, NY
• Museum of Ice Cream Pop-Up, New York, NY
• Private Opening, The Silk Building, New York, NY
• TEXT ME, Cheryl Hazan Gallery, New York, NY
• FIREWORKS, The Java Project, Brooklyn, NY
• Seeking Space, BeElectric Space, Brooklyn, NY
• It's Not What You Think, Philip Bloom Gallery, Nantucket, MA
• BAM 11th Annual Art Auction, Cheim & Read Gallery, New York, NY
• Bushwick Open Studio Annual Benefit, StoreFront at Ten Eyck, Brooklyn, NY
• Immediate Female, Judith Charles Gallery, New York, NY
• SELECT Art Fair, Philip Bloom Gallery, Art Basel, Miami, FL
• More Than This, Theodore:Art, Brooklyn, NY
• Underline Projects, Front Room Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
• At 60" x SHFT Exhibition at The Royal Palm + Architectural Digest Pop-Up, Art Basel, Miami, FL (curated by Sarah Arison & Adrian Grenier)
• Artist Solidarity, Brooklyn Fireproof Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
• Sound + Image: Walk-Up ID, MLB FanCave Gallery, New York, NY
• First Fridays, Brooklyn Fireproof Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
• Sound + Image Interactive Exhibition, Project Space, New York, NY
• 56th Annual Artists Exhibition, Art League of Long Island, Long Island, NY
• Rockville Bank, Glastonbury, CT
• National YoungArts Foundation, Miami, FL
• Teenage Paparazzo Screening, New York Institute of Technology, New York, NY (Curated by Adrian Grenier)
• Frames on Frames, ROOQ Fine Art Framers, New York, NY
PRESS & MEDIA
• 3 Museum of Ice Cream Artists Talk Shoppe, by Rachel Sokol, Crain's 5 Boros, New York, NY, August.
• Deconstructing the Artist: Sarah Reynolds, by Cass Alcides, Swagger, New York, NY, May.
• Side Hustlers Revealed: Pursuing Passion Project, by Jill Hilbrenner, The Guardian, New York, NY, October.
• Making History at Storefront Ten Eyck Gallery, by Lia Simone, Art Fuse, New York, NY, May.
• The Daily Davis: Almanac Is Foodie Heaven, The Daily Front Row, New York, NY, March.
• The Food Seen: Episode 229, Heritage Radio Network, March.
• Daily Art Inspiration, Sarah H Reynolds, by Joseph Licata, Surf Collective, New York, NY, January.
• Fall Art Openings Are In Full Swing This Weekend! Here’s Your Play-by-Play, by Katie Killary, Bushwick Daily, Brooklyn, NY, November.
• What It's Really Like to be a Twentysomething in NYC, by Maggie Parker, Refinery29, New York, NY, September.
• Sound + Vision, by Lori Zimmer, Art Nerd, New York, NY, September.
• MLB FanCave Art Gallery, AM New York, New York, NY, September.
• Sound+Image': Two Artists, a Playlist, Some Headphones and a Show, by Nina E Rothe, Huffington Post, New York, NY, June.
• Bushwick Art Scene, by Holly Shen Chaves, Art Finder, Brooklyn, NY, May.
• How Was Bushwick Art Crit Group, the BOS Preview Edition, by Jen Hitchings, Bushwick Daily, Brooklyn, NY, May.
• My Houzz: Black and White is Right for a Brooklyn Studio, by Chris Dorsey, Houzz, New York, NY, March.
• Awareness of Others Intentions, by Theo Constantinou, Paradigm Magazine, New York, NY, July.
• Local Artist Debuts: Frames on Frames, by Rachel Gottfried, DOWNTOWN, New York, NY, July.
• Almanac Restaurant, New York, NY
• Maggy Frances Store, New York, NY
• ROOT Studios, New York, NY
• Jezebel Restaurant, New York, NY
COMMERCIAL COMMISSIONS & PROJECTS
• Ground Support Artist Series Coffee Label, New York, NY
• Complete Unknown (featuring Kathy Bates, Danny Glover, & Rachel Weisz) Art Loan, New York, NY
• Calypso St Barth In-Store Commission, New York, NY
• Coach "Metropolitan Art" Online Campaign Commission, New York, NY
• ICED Media Limited Edition Print Commission, New York, NY
• Refinery 29 Tinseltown Bazaar Holiday Sale, New York, NY
• SOL REPUBLIC Limited Edition Headphone Commission, USA
• Salvatore Ferragamo's "Girl About Town” Online Campaign Commission, USA & Asia
• Sharpie Collaboration, USA
RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
• Freelancer, Skink Ink Fine Art Printing, Brooklyn, NY, December 2015 – June 2016
• Creative Director, ROOT Studios, New York, NY, January 2014 – November 2015
• Writer, Bushwick Open Studios, Brooklyn, NY, 2013